Wednesday, February 14, 2007

American Winter

The winters here are beautiful. So much snow. An abudnace of it. So typical of America. Except the snow, unlike other abundances, slows America down. Huddles the family together. (I stole "huddle" from the Statue of Liberty.) Makes you eat soup. Soup is a soul food, and on these winter nights what else can quickly warm you from head to toe to fingertips and keep you warm for so long? Soothing soup. I liked those vowel sounds--the oos in "soothing" and "soup." I wish America had more vowels. If they did, they'd be more passionate. I think I will return the long vowel to America. The ohs, ees, ays, eys, and oos. I think in my new American-English poems that I hope to write I will invoke those sounds. The vowels will slow the pace as snow slows the pace and both yield joy. What joy to play in the snow. How much fun to watch it fall. To count the snowflakes. To stare at one while it melts in your palm. American snow. It blankets my new town in quiet awe.

No comments: